Because it is Mother's Day one naturally reflects upon parental affiliation. However, my "reflections" were not prompted by the date but by....table manners, or, the lack thereof. As a result of Ron's award ceremony, I had the amazing discovery that not everyone has basic table manners. People started chowing down before they were supposed to, stirred their iced tea with their knives, man-handled the rims of the salad dressings, cut the lettuce with their knives, etc. "How come I knew differently?" I asked myself. The answer "My mother."
My mother was a closet concert pianist. While she never performed publicly she studied with the best in the world (Nadia Boulanger, John Casadesus (spelling?)). As a result, we attended many dinners and events throughout Canada and Europe. Certainly, my mother lacked in many areas of motherhood, but at least I've got table manners!
I make no bones about the fact that both my parents had "difficulties" in fulfilling their parental role and obligations. However, I also make no bones about the fact that these things happen. I detest "Pity Parties" and instead try to find the inevitable silver lining of the situtation.
Actually, there are benefits to not having parents. I know that I probably would not have done many of the unique things I have done. The ability to do certain things really hit home when I lived in Denver. At the time I was working for a law firm which was a player in getting the new Bronco Stadium built. My job saw me dealing with the Metropolitan Football Stadium District, the entity who coordinated the entire project. The Director of the MFSD and I were talking about my motorcycling one day. He said "I'd love to do it, but my Dad won't let me." I was stunned! The man was 33 years old and his father wouldn't let him! It got me to thinking. I realized just how limiting my life could have been.
I also recently heard, on an NPR program regarding mothers, someone else who had a less than ideal example of motherhood. She, too, was thankful for her experience because it ultimately made her who she is.
It's true, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! It's just as sweet!
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment